Викторина «Праздники в англоговорящих странах»
Автор: Алексеева Наталия Викторовна
Организация: МБОУ БГО СОШ №5
Населенный пункт: Воронежская область, г. Борисоглебск
Teacher: I’m glad to see you. Today you will take part in a quiz. Our topic is «Holidays of English-speaking countries».
There will be two teams today and two pupils or judges will help me to check up your answers. Let’s start our quiz. These questions deal with different holidays.
- When do the British celebrate Christmas? (On the 25th of December)
- He is an imaginary old man in red clothes and with a long white beard. (Santa Claus)
- Every New Year’s Eve a lot of people gather in Times Square and watch the «Big Apple» fall. Name the city. (New York)
- In this country people call the New Year’s Eve «Hogmanay». (Scotland)
- People call this country «the upside down world». And during the Christmas holidays they often sunbathe on the beach or swim in the ocean. (Australia)
- The traditional meal on this day consists of a turkey, cranberry sauce and a pumpkin pie. (Thanksgiving Day)
- Most people believe that on this holiday ghosts and witches go out and walk all night. (Halloween)
- Children enjoy eating sweet rabbits and listening to stories about the bunny who brings eggs in a fancy basket on this holiday. (Easter)
- This holiday is on the 4th Thursday of November. Only Americans celebrate it. (Thanksgiving Day)
- How do they call in Great Britain the first visitor to enter a house on New Year’s morning? (The First Foot)
- When do the British say : The rose is red, the violets are blue,
The honey’s sweet and so are you. (on the 14th of February)
- People cut horrible faces in potatoes and other vegetables and put a candle inside. At parties people dress up in strange costumes and pretend they are witches. When do they do this? (On the 31st of October)
- This activity consists of rolling colored, hard-boiled eggs down a slope until they are cracked and broken after which they are eaten by their owners. When does this pastime take place? (On Easter Sunday)
- Every winter Londoners get a gift from Oslo-an enormous Christmas Tree and put it in this place. (Trafalgar Square)
- In the big cities and towns tradition on that day demands a visit to the pantomime, where once again one is entertained by the story of Cinderella, Dick Whittington, Puss in Boots. (Boxing Day)
- On this holiday British people make resolutions. They decide to do something to improve their lives. (the New Year)
- Nowadays on this holiday young men and women declare their feelings for each other, some seriously, some humorously. (St. Valentine’s Day)
- Children and some adults enjoy singing on this holiday :
Once in royal David’s city
Stood a lowly cattle shed,
Where a mother laid her baby
In a manger for a bed.
Mary was that mother mild,
Jesus Christ her little child. (Christmas)
- It is celebrated on the 26th of December. It comes straight away after Christmas Day. This is an old tradition when in old times rich people used to give their servants money or «Christmas boxes». (Boxing Day)
Teacher : That’ll do for today. You were active. Now we shall decide who is the winner of our quiz. Let’s congratulate the winners and thank our jury for their work. Good bye!
1. Колодяжная Л.Н. Познакомьтесь: Великобритания. М.: Рольф, 2000, 121-125 с.
2.Кузовлев В.П. Счастливый английский. Учебник для 8 класса. М.: Просвещение, 1999, 81-85 с.
3. Нестерова Н.М. Страноведение: Великобритания. Ростов н/Д: Феникс, 2006, 286-321 с.
4. Ощепкова В.В. О Британии вкратце. М.: Лист, 1998, 136-143 с.
5.Сатинова В.Ф. Читаем и говорим о Британии и Британцах. Мн.: Выш.шк., 1998, 234-237 с.
6. Химунина Т.Н. В Великобритании принято так. М.: Просвещение, 1984, 7-35 с.
7.Червякова Л.Д. Английский язык для поступающих в вузы. М.: Уникум-центр, 1997, 156-167 с.
8. Шереметьева А.В. Английский язык. Страноведческий справочник. Саратов: Лицей, 2010, 75-77 с.