Разработка нестандартного урока по английскому языку «OUTLINES OF A CHARACTER SKETCH»
Автор: Назаренко Елена Анатольевна
Организация: Средняя общеобразовательная школа №34
Населенный пункт: Республика Крым, г. Симферополь
-to stimulate students’ thinking;
-to develop students’ creative imagination in communicative activity;
-to encourage students to make a personal response to the material studied;
-to integrate the language skills to help students to improve their abilities to produce grammatically correct language;
-to develop students’ listening and reading skills.
I. The motto of the lesson
If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings – nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And – which is more – you’ll be a man, my son!
II. Review of the lexis of the lesson
- Match the synonyms.
- Thinking and intelligence.
Which features of character do you appreciate in people?
What kind of people do you respect?
Name positive features.
What kind of people will never arrest your attention?
Name negative features, explain your choice.
- Sayings, proverbs, aphorisms illustrating a persons’ character.
Who chatters to you will chatter of you.
Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead.
Don’t do all you can, don’t spend all you have, don’t believe all you hear, don’t tell all you know.
Don’t talk too much if you want to be listened to.
Teach your child to hold his tongue, he’ll learn enough to speak.
He who can does. He who cannot teaches.
If your tongue is your enemy, it is a friend of your enemy.
III. Creative group work.
All students are divided into groups of three. Each group is given a photo of a lady. The task is to make up a biography of each lady. The biography should mention age, family, occupation, character, interests and hobbies. The students shouldn’t show the other group the photo they are working with. Each group presents their story. The rest should guess whose photo is being described.
IV. Reading and speaking.
- Pre – reading activity. Questionnaire
You are at school. You find an envelope with 200 dollars cash in it. What would you do and why?
Choose A, B, C or D.
- Keep money.
- Tell the teacher you have found some money.
- Put a sign up. (Don’t say where you found the money or how much.)
- Your own idea.
If you lost 200 dollars and someone returned it to you what would you do?
- Say “Thank you”
- Give the person a little of money as a reward.
- Contact a local newspaper to report the person’s honesty.
- Your own idea.
- Match the words to their meanings.
- to track down a. truthfulness
- honesty b. to follow and reach smb
- to recount c. an amount of money
- to catch up d. payment for work done
- wage e. to tell about smth that happened
- sum f. to find
- rucksack g. a bag carried on the back
Keys: 1-f, 2-a, 3-e, 4-b, 5-d, 6-c, 7-g.
- Reading the article.
HONEST WORKER RETURNS 28.000 DOLLARS TO TOURIST.
Havana. Thursday, July 13. “A Cuban pharmacy worker tracked down an Argentine tourist in Havana to return 28.000 dollars left in a rucksack in the shop”, state media says.
“Havana authorities will honour a 72-years-old Jesus Fernandez Mario later this week for his honesty”, state media said on Wednesday. “What I did I would do one thousand times over. It was simply what my parents taught me”, Mario said to the Rebel Youth newspaper recounting how he ran down the street to catch up with the Argentine’s tourist bus.
“The tourist was on his first tour to Cuba… and said to me, “I’m Argentine, and I’ll be back”. Mario returned a sum worth nearly two thousand times the average monthly wage here.
No explanations were given in the media on why the tourist would carry such a large sum.
- Comprehensive check.
Put the following events into the order in which they happened.
-Mario gave the money back to the tourist.
-The shop worker found the rucksack.
-The tourist was very happy.
-The bus stopped and let Mario get on.
-Mario will be honoured for his honesty by state authorities.
-An Argentine tourist left 28.000 dollars in his rucksack in a pharmacy shop in Havana, Cuba.
- True/False/Not Mentioned
-A man found 20.000 dollars in a sack.
-He was working in his shop when he found the money.
-The man reported the money he had found to the police.
-The man returned the money to its owner.
-The owner of the money said “Thank you”.
-He was from Brazil.
-He was carrying the money because he planned to buy a new car in Cuba.
- Give your own opinion. With a partner discuss the following questions.
- Jesus Mario gave back a sum worth nearly two thousand times the average monthly wage in Cuba. How much money is two thousand times the average monthly wage in our country? Will you be willing to give back such a sum?
- Do you think smth like this would happen in our country?
- Have you ever found a lot of money? What would you do with it if you found?
V. Listening and speaking.
1. Pre-listening activity. How do you call this?
Concern for the needs and feelings of other people above one’s own. (Altruism)
Determination to be successful, rich, powerful etc. (Ambition)
A person who pays too much attention to the social position or wealth or who dislikes people of a lower social position. (Snob)
2. Listening to the text.
Listen to the text and discuss with a partner what the guests might have said after the married couple had left the party.
A married couple trying to live up to a snobbish lifestyle went to a party. The conversation turned to Mozart. “Absolutely brilliant, magnificent, a genius!”
The woman, waiting to join the conversation, remarked casually, “Ah, Mozart! You’re so right. I love him. Only this morning I saw him getting on the No.5 bus going to Coney Island.” There was a sudden hush, and everyone looked at her. Her husband was mortified. He pulled her away and whispered, “We are leaving right now. Get your coat and let’s get out of here.”
As they drove home, he kept muttering to himself. Finally his wife turned to him, “You are angry about something.” “Oh, really? You noticed?” he sneered. “I’ve never been so embarrassed in my life! You saw Mozart take the No.5 bus to Coney Island? You, idiot! Don’t you know the No.5 bus doesn’t go to the Coney Island?”
Life wisdom is often expressed in short utterances. Remind an episode from your life, analyze it and make a conclusion in the same short and expressive form as you’ve just heard.
Список использованной литературы
1. Дубровина, И.В. Психология / Е.Е. Данилова, А.М. Прихожан. 6-е – изд.– М.: Изд. центр «Академия», 2007. – 202 с.
2. Немов Р.С. Общая психология. Гуманитарный изд. центр. – М.: Владивосток, 2001. – 56 с.
3. Описание человека на английском – пример рассказа с новой лексикой. http://speak4fun.ru/opisanie-cheloveka-na-angliyskom/
4. «Расскажи мне о себе»: описание внешности человека на английском. http://skyeng.ru/articles/rasskazhi-mne-o-sebe-opisanie-vneshnosti-cheloveka-na-anglijskom-yazyke
5. Сочинение на английском про друга – новая лексика, примеры и текст. http://speak4fun.ru/sochinenie-na-angliyskom-pro-druga/
6. How to write a character sketch. https://www.scribendi.com/advice/how_to_write_a_character_sketch.en.html
7. Writing a Character Sketch. http://www.educationworld.com/a_tsl/archives/04-1/lesson017.shtml